LBC 97.3’s Nick Ferrari will go head-to-head with Mishal Husain, the newest presenter of BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, in the voting for the 40th annual Broadcasting Press Guild Awards. The awards, sponsored by Discovery Channel, will be presented next month at a lunch in central London.
The news presenters are both shortlisted for the BPG’s Radio Broadcaster of the Year award, together with Jarvis Cocker, for his programmes on BBC Radio 4 and BBC 6 Music, and Cerys Matthews, of BBC 6 Music
BBC Radio 4 has all four nominations for the Radio Programme of the Year. The Long View is shortlisted alongside The Russian Gambler, Tweet of the Day and Woman’s Hour.
The BPG Awards, sponsored by Discovery Channel for the second consecutive year, are highly prized by programme-makers because they are selected independently by journalists who write about TV and radio: correspondents, critics and previewers. The radio awards are selected by a panel of BPG members with a specialist interest in radio.
Notes to editors:
1. The winners will be announced at the 40th BPG Awards lunch in the beautifully restored Theatre Royal Drury Lane on Friday March 28th 2014. The Harvey Lee Award for outstanding contribution to broadcasting, which is in the gift of the BPG Executive Committee, will be presented as well. The lunch will be attended by the winners, BPG members and leading broadcasting executives. Winners will be informed in advance and places at the lunch are by invitation only.
2. The Broadcasting Press Guild was founded in 1974 and has more than a hundred members. They are journalists who specialise in covering television, radio and the media, and include critics, previewers, media correspondents and feature writers from national newspapers, broadcasters and leading trade journals and websites.
3. The BPG Radio Broadcaster of the Year award has been won in the past by Terry Wogan, Charlotte Green, Graham Seed, Eddie Mair, Sean Rafferty, Simon Mayo, Sandy Toksvig, Jonathan Ross, Sue Lawley, Brian Matthew, Michael Buerk and Ray Moore. (see more details and photos at http://www.broadcastingpressguild.org/.)
Further information from Torin Douglas, BPG: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07860 422992
The full list of radio nominations is:
Radio Programme of the Year
- The Long View (BBC Radio 4)
- The Russian Gambler (BBC Radio 4)
- Tweet of the Day (BBC Radio 4)
- Woman’s Hour (BBC Radio 4)
Radio Broadcaster of the Year
- Jarvis Cocker (BBC Radio 4 & BBC 6 Music)
- Nick Ferrari (LBC 97.3)
- Mishal Husain (BBC Radio 4)
- Cerys Matthews (BBC 6 Music)